Ken Hore Tourism Mentoring Program
Congratulations to the 2018/19 Participants
Meghan Bye Latrobe City Visitor Information Centre
Melissa Moseley Baw Baw Shire Council
Lucinda Cousens Bass Coast Shire Council
Caron Bordonaro South Gippsland Shire Council
Kellie Willis Wellington Regional Tourism
GUIDELINES AND SELECTION CRITERIA 2019 – 2020
The purpose of the Ken Hore Tourism Mentoring Program (known as the Mentoring Program) is to honour the contribution made by Ken Hore to the Gippsland and Phillip Island tourism industry. It does so by providing an annual career development opportunity to young tourism professionals or new entrants in the Gippsland and Phillip Island Tourism Industry. Specifically it will:
- Promote skills and excellence among young people and new entrants into the tourism industry extending tourism networks and providing a broader understanding of the industry;
- Contribute to the continued development and growth of tourism in Gippsland and Phillip Island; and
- Perpetuate the memory, skills and contribution of Ken Hore.
The Mentoring Program is available to individuals who have joined the tourism industry in the last 5 years who are working in the tourism industry in Gippsland or Phillip Island. Applicants may be full time, part time or casual and can be working in any aspect of the private or publicly funded tourism sector.
Written applications are now open and the successful applicant/s and the winner will be selected by a panel made up of Destination Gippsland, Destination Phillip Island and Bass Coast Shire Council representatives. Please note applicants from these organisations are eligible to apply.
THE MENTORING PROGRAM SEEKS TO:
- Provide an opportunity for young achievers and new entrants to grow professionally;
- Provide an opportunity for young achievers and new entrants to share their experience with their peers and the industry on completion; and
- Support recipients to be ambassadors for the Gippsland and Phillip Island tourism industry
The Mentoring Program will provide the successful recipient with 12 months of mentoring support and opportunities that includes:
- Complimentary tickets to the respective Gippsland Tourism Conference and Phillip Island Tourism Conference
- Complimentary ticket to industry development workshops provided by Destination Gippsland, Destination Phillip Island and Bass Coast Shire Council
- There are 3 Workshop days one held on Phillip Island, one held in Gippsland, and one held in Melbourne at Visit Victoria and VTIC (Victorian Tourism Industry Council)
- Six x monthly mentoring sessions with an assigned leader in the Gippsland or Phillip Island tourism industry
- Opportunities to directly learn and experience their area of special interest in the tourism industry (this could include appointments with business owners/managers, behind the scenes tours, hands-on experience, meetings with peak industry bodies)
- Applications open Tuesday 23 July 2019.
- Applications close Monday 12 August 2019 at 9.00am
Follow the link for further information regarding the application process. APPLICATION
Or call us to discuss 03 5952 2729 Kim or Pauleen
About Ken Hore
Ken Hore had a long association with members throughout the Gippsland and Phillip Island tourism industry. He encouraged their business and personal development with his generous support and commitment to others. Ken offered a guiding hand to many of the industrys newest recruits. In 2011 at the Victorian Tourism Awards, he received the award for
Outstanding Contribution by an Individual Acknowledgement of his tourism career, of which include:
• founding role as CEO of Country Victoria Tourism Council
• Chair of Sydney Melbourne Touring
• Deputy Chair of Destination Phillip Island
• Director of Yarra Valley Country Club
• Board Director of Destination Gippsland
This video tribute by Paul Cooper and the industry illustrates Ken’s journey in tourism.
History of program
The purpose of the Ken Hore Tourism Mentoring Program (known as the ‘Mentoring Program) is to honour the contribution made by Ken Hore to the Gippsland and Phillip Island tourism industry. It will do so by providing an annual career development opportunity to young tourism professional in Gippsland and Phillip Island.
Specifically it will: Promote skills and excellence among young people and new entrants into the tourism industry; Contribute to the continued development and growth of tourism in Gippsland and Phillip Island; and Perpetuate the memory, skills and contribution of Ken Hore.
The Mentoring Program will provide 12 months of mentoring support and opportunities to the successful recipients.
The 2014/15 graduates were:
Arnika Martin, Ellie Priestly, Michelle Rogers, Pauleen Boulton, Phoebe Honey, Kim Kleinitz, Sascha Johns
From Left to Right – Meeting at VTIC with Di Hore April 2016
Nina Barry- Macaulay – RACV Inverloch
Samantha Holcombe – The Cape Kitchen
Mikala Peters – Wildlife Coast Cruises
Di Hore – Ken’s wife
Kelsey Mc Fadzean – Phillip Island Grand Prix Circuit
Laura Mc Cowatt – Maru Koala & Animal Park
Kim Storey – Destination Phillip Island General Manager (program sponsor)
2016-17 Participants with Program Sponsors
Left to right –
Kim Storey Destination Phillip Island (Program Sponsor)
Bregje Van Watershcoot – Ramada Resort Phillip Island
Nicholas Matolytsch – East Gippsland Marketing Inc
Kelly McCarthy – Gippsland Solar
Teresa Mahood -Bass Coast Shire Council, Terry Robinson -Destination Gippsland (Program Sponsors)
Kellie Panayioutou – Latrobe Visitor Information Centre
Lydia Tesch – A Maze’N Things
Kylie Pattison – South Gippsland Shire Council
Janine Hayes -Destination Gippsland (program sponsor)
Congratulations to the 2017/2018 Participants.
Nick Stephens – Phillip Island Designated Driver
Jaci Hicken – Jacican Food Studio
Jie Liu – La Trobe City Council
Cageon Loy – Bass Coast Shire Council
Dena Waters- South Gippsland Shire Council